AZB & Partners Firm Profile
AZB & Partners was founded in 2004 with a clear purpose to provide reliable, practical and full-service advice to clients, across all sectors. With pan-India offices across Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore, and Pune, we have an accomplished and driven team of 400+ lawyers committed to delivering best-in-class legal solutions to help clients achieve their objectives. Our greatest strength is an in-depth understanding of legal, regulatory and commercial environments, in India and elsewhere. This strength enables us to provide bespoke counsel to help our diverse clients negotiate any dynamic or volatile business environment. At AZB & Partners, collaboration is an everyday reality – we combine individual and mutual strengths to achieve collective growth.
The legal services rendered by us cover the corporate, commercial, regulatory, financial and tax planning aspects of modern businesses. We have been involved in advising in the field of mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures and general corporate, regulatory practice and securities laws, private equity, capital markets, funds practice, banking and finance, compliance & investigation, anti-corruption, anti-bribery, anti-money laundering and corporate governance, microfinance, derivatives, infrastructure and project finance, real estate, media and entertainment, information technology and business process outsourcing, employment, insurance, intellectual property, pharmaceuticals and biotechnology, taxation, aviation, competition law, and litigation and arbitration.
We have been recognised and acclaimed by numerous international publications including Chambers and Partners, IFLR 1000, Asialaw Profiles, Legal 500, Thomson Reuters Asian Legal Business. Our recent, select recognitions include:
- Ranked No.1, RSG Top 40 Indian Law Firms Ranking, 2017
- Best Indian Law Firm, International Legal Alliance Summit Awards, 2017
- Law Firm of the Year, VC Circle, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2017
- Client Service Law Firm of the Year, Chambers Asia-Pacific Awards, 2017
- India Deal Firm of the Year | India Energy and Resources Law Firm of the Year, ALB SE Asia Law Awards, 2018
- Ranked No.1 for the Indian M&A Announced Deals League Table by Value and Volume, and ranked No. 1 for the Indian M&A Completed Deals League Table by Value and Volume, Thomson Reuters’ Emerging Markets M&A Legal rankings, Q1 2018
- Ranked No. 1 for India in the M&A Announced Deals League Table by Deal Value and Deal Count, Bloomberg’s Global M&A, Legal rankings, Q1 2018
- Rank 1 for India in the M&A Rankings by Deal Value and Deal Count, Mergermarket’s Global and Regional M&A League Tables of Legal Advisors, Q1 2018
- Rank 1 for PE and M&A Rankings by Deal Count and Deal Value, Venture Intelligence League Tables of Legal Advisors 2017
- Litigation Law Firm of the Year and ‘Labor Law - Law Firm of the Year in India’, Corporate INTL, 2018
- Chambers Asia-Pacific 2018 has said the following on our Corporate / M&A Team:
“Widely admired firm with an excellent market reputation. Notable strength advising leading buyers, sellers and investors acting in the telecommunications, technology and private equity markets on the full range of corporate issues, including high-profile M&A, joint ventures and outbound investments. Strong record assisting in the establishing and restructuring of companies, exchange control regulations, contract law and Takeover code issues.”
Chambers Global 2018 has said the following on our Private Equity practice:
“Front-running practice widely admired for its outstanding experience representing high-end international funds in all types of private equity investments. Highly sought after for its advice on the efficient structuring of investments, tax planning and regulatory issues. Notable strength advising on private equity transactions involving the financial services, hospitality, retail and healthcare sectors, particularly those with cross-border aspects and increasingly active on behalf of Canadian-based funds.”
Clients have quoted to Chambers Asia Pacific about our Corporate/ M&A practice, "We are extremely satisfied - in a recent deal where the timings were challenging, they cleared all the work in record time", "AZB is a large firm with a deep client base and good quality across the board", "I have the highest respect for AZB; they are my first recommendation if anyone says they need a large firm", "They are extremely good, and where complex transactions are involved, we prefer to work with them", "They have an ability to cut through to the material issues”, "This is a highly active firm that is well regarded for its expertise in both corporate and M&A law”,"We found the firm to be excellent for corporate matters as the team is very competent and highly knowledgeable." "They have a high degree of specialisation, cross-discipline experts and an ability to handle complexities." “A commitment to quality, ethics, transparency and ability to deliver within tight timelines are the strengths of the firm," adding: "They also have a pragmatic and analytical approach."
Legal500, 2018 says “AZB & Partners provides ‘swift, helpful and great quality advice’, handling the full range of merger, acquisition, joint venture and corporate regulatory work.”
Legal 500, 2016 says “Praised for its business excellence and understanding of clients’ needs’, the team at AZB & Partners provides pragmatic and precise advice which is always straight to the point.”
The Firm’s clients include an array of domestic and international companies. These range from privately owned to publicly listed companies, including Fortune 500 entities, multinational companies (MNCs), investment banks, private equity firms and more across the world. The Firm has also built, through its many professional engagements, strong relationships with specialists, regulatory authorities and several international law firms, including, notably, the World Law Group network of member firms.
KEY TRANSACTIONS OF THE FIRM:
Recent transactional highlights include:
- Schneider and Temasek’s acquisition of the electrical and automation business of Larsen & Toubro both in India and abroad for USD 2.1 Billion;
- Tata Steel Limited’s acquisition of Bhushan Steel Limited for USD 5.2 Billion;
- American Tower Corp.’s acquisition of the passive infrastructure business of Vodafone and Idea, Vodafone and Idea are merging to create India’s largest telecom company;
- Softbank’s acquisition of PayTM for USD 400 Million;
- Sale of a majority share in HPCL to ONGC for USD 5.7 Billion through which ONGC become India's first vertically integrated 'oil major' company, having presence across the entire value chain;
- Bombay Stock Exchange’s IPO;
- LafargeHolcim’s divestment of its shareholding in Lafarge India Ltd to Nirma for USD 1.4 Billion.
KEY CONTACT PARTNERS:
Managing partner, Zia Mody, and partners, Srinath Dasari and Vaidhyanadhan Iyer are the WLG Key Contact Partners for AZB & Partners.
Srinath Dasari, commented: “As a relatively recent member in the network, it took us little time to realise that WLG member firms are able to offer our clients access to uniformly excellent service quality, in-depth knowledge and best-in-class legal talent across the world. Clients and (equally importantly) lawyers within our firm have, in equal measure, appreciated the efficiency and high calibre of any member firm that they have worked with. With time, and as India Inc. continues to grow at its current pace, we remain confident of being able to leverage the benefits of this network far more frequently.”
Learn more about AZB & Partners at www.azbpartners.com