Nicholas Tan Choi Chuan
Partner at Shearn Delamore & Co. (Malaysia)
New Key Contact Partner
1. Briefly describe your practice.
I am a corporate/M&A partner with a focus on mergers and acquisitions, foreign investments, joint ventures, and other cross-border transactions. My clients include MNCs (including Fortune 500 corporations), state-owned entities, and listed corporations.
2. Share with us something new and interesting about your firm (new practice area, implementation of new technology, etc.).
Our firm is one of Malaysia's oldest and largest full-service law firms. Our corporate/M&A practice group has the capacity and experience to undertake the most complex and resource-intensive corporate transactions.
We constantly update the breadth of our practices to align with the latest developments locally and abroad. In addition, we regularly organize training sessions for our lawyers on finance-related topics to complement their M&A work.
3. What do you look forward to as a new Key Contact Partner?
I look forward to more collaboration with WLG member firms across the globe and forming meaningful connections in the process. I also prioritize interaction and information-sharing (e.g., takeaways from recent deals and case studies) between member firms.
4. If someone were to visit your country, what would be a must-see/must-do?
George Town (Penang) is a must-visit when coming to Malaysia. It is a UNESCO world heritage site rich with culture, historical buildings from the 1800s, and street art. The island also has many natural running, cycling, and hiking trails for those who like to spend time outdoors. It has some of the best street food in Malaysia, with Peranakan cuisine and Michelin-rated restaurants.
5. Have you had any recent client, marketing, or other collaboration with a WLG member firm(s)? If so, please briefly tell us about that.
Recently, I was a panelist alongside a representative from WLG member firm Zhong Lun Law Firm in a corporate/M&A webinar organized by our firm. I look forward to similar collaborations with more member firms of WLG in the near future.